The Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® is a fairly new card on the cash-back market. With the Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard®, consumers can earn a flat rate of 1.5% back on every purchase they make – and all with no annual fee.
This puts the Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® in the same category as the new Chase Freedom Unlimited℠ card and even the Capital One Quicksilver card. With a flat 1.5% back and no annual fee, all of these cards make it easy to earn a decent rate of return without paying out-of-pocket or dealing with a complicated rewards program.
The Simple Dollar’s Key Takeaways
- Earn a flat rate of 1.5% back for all purchases. Never keep track of rotating categories, bonuses, or spending limits. You’ll always earn a flat 1.5% back on everything.
- No annual fee. Since this card doesn’t charge an annual fee, you can keep it for eternity. Plus, you’ll never have to stress over whether a fee is worth it if you use your card infrequently.
- Get 0% intro APR for a limited time. Unlike some other cards in this niche, the Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® offers 0% introductory APR for 15 months on Balance Transfers made within 45 days of account opening. A balance transfer fee does apply.
Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard®
- Get a $200 cash rewards bonus after you spend $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days after account opening
- Earn unlimited 1.5% cash rewards on every purchase
- Every time you redeem, get a 5% cash rewards redemption bonus to use toward your next redemption
- Redeem your cash rewards for a deposit into a U.S. checking or savings account, a statement credit or gift cards. Redemptions start at $50
- Cash rewards do not expire as long as your account is open, active and in good standing
- Enjoy a 0% introductory APR for 15 months on Balance Transfers made within 45 days of account opening. After that, a variable APR will apply, 15.74%, 20.74% or 25.74%, based on your creditworthiness
- Please note, there is a fee for balance transfers
- No annual fee
Review: A Perfect No-Fee Card for Just About Anyone
The Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® is a smart option for almost any type of spender. And since this card doesn’t charge any type of annual fee or an application fee, the Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® is also somewhat of a no-brainer. If you’re not using a rewards cards and want to earn a flat rate of cash back on every purchase you make, you have little to lose provided you never carry a balance or pay interest on your purchases. Make sure you always pay your bill in full and on time, and the cash back you earn is truly “free.”
The Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® is a standard no-fee cash back card that would work for just about anyone. The fact that it offers 0% introductory APR for 15 months for Balance Transfers is just icing on the cake. And whether you just want to earn cash back or gift cards, you can do so fairly easily by using your card for all of your everyday expenses.
Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard®: Where It Falls Flat
The Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® comes with few downsides, but the biggest is opportunity loss. If you spend a lot on your card every month or hope to travel with your points, this card might leave you wanting more.
Unlike the top travel credit cards, the Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® only lets you redeem your points for cash back or gift cards. Since you can’t transfer them to airline or hotel loyalty programs or use them to book travel at a discount, you’ll get a lot less bang for your buck.
And since this card isn’t really a travel credit card or a premier credit card for that matter, it doesn’t offer any of the perks a lot of other top rewards cards offer. For example, it doesn’t offer trip cancellation/interruption insurance, auto rental coverage, or any perks beyond the basics. If you’ll benefit from those extras, you’ll likely be a lot better off with travel credit card or one of the top rewards cards on the market.
Who This Card Is Good For:
- Someone who wants a set rate of cash back and not much else.
- Anyone who hates annual fees.
- People who don’t want to use rewards for travel.
Who Should Pass:
- Anyone who might want to redeem their points for free travel.
- Big spenders who might benefit more from a top rewards credit card.
- People who want more options when it comes to redeeming their points.
How Does It Compare to Other Cash-Back Cards?
The Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® is far from the only 1.5% cash-back card on the market. To see how it stacked up to another card in its niche, we looked at its benefits and compared it to the Chase Freedom Unlimited℠. Here’s what we found:
|Barclaycard CashForward™ World MasterCard®||Chase Freedom Unlimited℠|
|Earning Tiers||Earn a flat 1.5% back on every purchase you make||Earn a flat 1.5% back on every purchase you make|
|Redemption Options||Redeem your points for cash back or gift cards||Redeem your points for cash back, gift cards, or purchases made on Amazon|
|Can you transfer points?||No||Transfer points to Chase Ultimate Rewards if you have the Ink Plus Business credit card or Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card|
|0% APR Offer||0% introductory APR for 15 months on Balance Transfers made within 45 days of account opening. After that a variable APR will apply, 15.74%, 20.74% or 25.74%, based on your creditworthiness.||Get 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for the first 15 months|
|Balance Transfer Fee||3%||Either $5 of 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.|
As you can see, both cards offer similar features. The biggest difference is the fact that points from the Chase Freedom Unlimited℠ card are transferrable if you have a card that earns Chase Ultimate Rewards points, like the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card. If you have the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card already, the Chase Freedom Unlimited℠ might be a smarter option since you can pool the points from both cards into one place and use them for travel.
Another area where these cards differ is in their 0% intro APR offers. Where the Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® offers 0% intro APR for 12 months, the Chase Freedom Unlimited℠ offers 0% intro APR for a full 15 months.
If you’re considering a balance transfer with one of these cards, it’s important to take note of the fees. The Chase Freedom Unlimited℠ might offer 0% intro APR for 15 months instead of 12, but it comes with either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater. That’s pretty steep, and worth considering if you’re transferring a large balance. It’s also a lot higher than the balance transfer fee charged by the Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard®, which is just 3%.
And if you’re sure you want to do a balance transfer, there are other options to consider as well. Make sure to check out our post on the best balance transfer credit cards for more options.
Chase Freedom Unlimited℠
- Unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase – it's automatic
- Earn a $150 Bonus after you spend $500 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening
- 0% Intro APR for 15 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable APR of 15.74-24.49%. Balance transfer fee is 5% of the amount transferred, $5 minimum
- Redeem for cash – any amount, anytime
- Cash Back rewards do not expire as long as your account is open
- No annual fee
Best Strategy with the Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard®: Use it for Everything
Since the Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® offers a flat rate of 1.5% cash back for every purchase you make, you should use it as often as you can. Put all of your regular bills on credit, along with any “extra” bills that come your way. Think beyond grocery and gas and try to use your card for expenses you wouldn’t normally think of – things like utility bills, home repairs, and insurance.
Of course, you need to make it a point to pay your credit card off right away. If you pay interest on your purchases, you’ll likely wipe out any cash back you earn. Get in the habit of paying your credit card bill in full and on time every month, then stick with that strategy for the long haul.
Want the Option to Earn More Points? Consider This Card
If you don’t like the idea of earning a flat rate of 1.5% and want a way to strive for more, consider a card that offers rotating categories with the potential for a higher bonus. One card that fits the bill is the Discover it® Cashback Match™.
With the Discover it® Cashback Match™, you’ll earn 5% cash back on your first $1,500 spent in rotating bonus categories that include groceries, gas, and Amazon and more, plus 1% back on every other purchase you make. Plus, Discover will match the total amount of cash back you earn after the first year.
Like the other cards profiled here, the Discover it® Cashback Match™ comes with no annual fee. That makes is a smart option if you want cash back but don’t want to pay out-of-pocket or worry about when to cancel your card.
In addition, this card offers free FICO® Credit Scores on your monthly statement and online. Redeem your points at any time, and your rewards will never expire.
Discover it® Cashback Match™
Card Highlights Provided by Discover:
- You could turn $200 into $400 with Cashback Match™. Get a dollar-for-dollar match of all the cash back you’ve earned at the end of your first year, automatically.
- Earn 5% cash back in rotating categories each quarter like gas stations, Amazon.com, restaurants, wholesale clubs and more, up to the quarterly maximum each time you activate. Plus, 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Redeem your cash back for any amount, any time. Cash rewards never expire.
- 100% U.S. based customer service.
- Get your FICO® Credit Score for free on monthly statements, on mobile and online.
- No annual fee.
- Click "APPLY NOW" to see rates, rewards, FICO® Credit Score terms, Cashback Match™ details & other information.
If you hope to rack up some serious cash back, there are several cards to consider. When it comes to the Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard®, this card is perfect for someone who wants one cash-earning card in their wallet and doesn’t want to pay an annual fee.
Without an annual fee, the Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® is the perfect card for someone who uses credit sparingly. And if you need to make a large purchase and pay it off over time, the 12 months at 0% intro APR this card offers is a welcome treat.
Credit Card Directory
Before you pull the trigger on any of these options, it’s important to note that a ton of other cash back credit cards exist. Make sure to conduct due diligence and explore all of your options before you sign up.
The credit card directory below can help. Sort, filter, or search for what matters most to find the best cash back credit card for you.
Sign up Bonus Tier Level
Great Ongoing Rewards
No Annual Fee
No APR for 12+ Months